Your computer knows to open certain file extensions with specific programs, if it runs into an unfamiliar file it will either ask you how to open the file or will default to open with a program that it thinks may work.
A good example is when you have both Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw on your computer. Both programs can open a variety of extensions including the common .EPS.
If this is the case you will need to teach your computer what program you want this file to be opened with. There are a few different ways to do this, below is the main way to be able to do it on Microsoft Windows and below that is how to make the change on a Macintosh.
For Microsoft Windows
1. Find the location of the file within your computer’s folder structure. (Important Note: If your file is in a compressed zip folder you will need to unzip the file first before being able to make the changes to your default/preferred program setting on your PC).
2. Right-click the file and select the properties option at the bottom of the list.
3. Under the General tab is the option Opens with and the current program is listed. Click
the button on the right labeled change.
4. From here select the program you wish to always open this file type and click OK below. Note: If you do not see it in your program list you will need to select more apps and Look for another program from the program list or select the program file from your computer where it’s installed.
Once this is done your computer will remember to open all files with this same extension with the program you selected. If you still are having issues following these steps there are video tutorials you can find online that will take you through step by step as well.
For Macintosh OS
1. Find the location of the file within your computer’s folder structure. (Important Note: If your file is in a compressed zip folder you will need to unzip the file first before being able to make the changes to your default/preferred program setting on your Mac).
2. Right-click or option-click the file and select the Get Info option.
3. Click the Open With section.
4. In the drop-down select the application you want to open the file with. If you don’t see
your file listed to use select more options to find it in your program list.
5. Click the change all to ensure all other files with the same extension are opened with the program you select.
We hope this helps with any issues in opening your files. Same as with the PC if you have trouble following these steps you can find video tutorials on performing this function online as well.
One thing to be aware of is that to select the program to open the file you downloaded you will need to have the correct software installed on your computer that can open that file extension from your order.
We provide a jpg proof image so you can see it with any computer and if you lack the appropriate software you will only be able to download the file and then forward it to your production company without being able to open it.
Have any questions? Contact us!
email@example.com 253-284-0733 ignitiondrawing.com